Flex Frequently Asked Questions

Find the answers below to the questions most frequently asked by our members. If you are enrolled in a Surency Flex plan, visit the Member Account to learn more about your  benefits.

How do I access my plan information?

Surency Flex offers four ways to access your plan details:

  1. The easiest option is to use the Surency Flex mobile app. The mobile app is available for download from the Apple App Store or Google Play. On the mobile app, you can view your current account balance, file claims, purchase FSA-approved items and securely contact Surency Flex.
  2. Log in to your online Member Account to view your account details, file claims and more. 
  3. Contact Surency Flex Customer Service at 866-818-8805.
  4. You can also sign up to receive electronic updates on your plan via email and/or text alerts. Log in to your Member Account and visit the “Statements & Notifications” tab to select your notification preference.  
What do I do if I’m having issues with my Member Account or the mobile app?

Contact Surency Flex Customer Service at 866-818-8805.

Can I receive statements/notifications by email and/or text?

Surency Flex offers email and text notifications regarding details of your account. To set up these features, log in to your Member Account, visit the “Statements & Notifications” tab and click on “Update Notification Preferences”. Enter your cell phone number and/or email address and choose your alert options. Click “Submit” to save your changes.

I’ve lost my Surency Flex Benefits Card. What should I do?

Treat your Surency Flex Benefits Card like a credit card. If it’s lost, contact Surency Flex Customer Service immediately at 866-818-8805. Or you can report it lost via your Member Account or the mobile app. Log in and select the “Profile” tab, select “Banking/Cards,” then “Report Lost/Stolen”. Click “Submit” to save your changes. Once you’ve reported your card lost or stolen, Surency Flex will send you a replacement Benefits Card.

Are there minimum and maximum amounts I can contribute?

Your employer may specify a minimum and/or a maximum contribution amount that you may contribute. During your enrollment period, the minimum and/or maximum contribution amount will be communicated by your employer.

How do I get repaid for my expenses?

Surency Flex offers three ways to get repaid:

  1. The easiest option is to use the Surency Flex mobile app. Choose “File a Claim,” enter the requested information and snap a photo from your phone of your receipt. The claim request and receipt will be automatically sent to Surency Flex for processing.  
  2. Log in to your Member Account. Choose “File a New Claim,” upload your receipt and enter the requested information. The claim request and receipt will be sent to Surency Flex for processing.
  3. Print an FSA Claim Form and mail it to Surency Flex for processing.

Remember, if you pay for eligible expenses with your Surency Flex Benefits Card, you will not need to file a claim.  

Do I need to wait for the money to be deposited into my account before I can make a claim for reimbursement?

Not with a Health Care FSA. The entire amount you set aside is available to you on the first day of the Plan Year.

Can I request FSA reimbursement for eligible services I received before the Plan Year began if I am not billed until after the start of the Plan Year?

No. According to IRS guidelines, an expense is incurred on the date the service is provided, not when you are billed or when you pay for the service.

Can I be reimbursed for my spouse’s deductible, copays or other out-of-pocket medical expenses?

Yes, your Health Care FSA dollars can be used to reimburse eligible out-of-pocket medical expenses (not covered by insurance or any other plan) incurred by: yourself, your spouse, your dependent children (under age 27 as of the end of the employee's taxable year), and your qualified relatives (as defined in your group’s Plan Document).

What if I have incurred expenses at the end of the Plan Year, but I don’t submit a claim by the end of the Plan Year?

Your employer may specify an additional amount of time, called a "run-out period," after the last day of the Plan Year to submit claims for services you received during the Plan Year. Check the Surency Flex mobile app or log in to your Member Account to view specific details on your plan. 

What happens if I submit a claim for an amount greater than what I have in my FSA at the time?

If you file a claim for an amount greater than what is in your account, you will still be reimbursed (up to the total amount elected for the plan year). Deductions from your paycheck will continue to be deposited into your FSA to make up the difference. You are allowed to submit claims for reimbursement up to the total amount you set aside for the Plan Year. 

What if I don’t use all of the money in my account before the end of the Plan Year?

Your employer may choose to allow a “grace period” or "roll-over amount” for any used funds. It’s best to check your Final Filing Date (last date you can file claims for the Plan Year) on the Surency Flex mobile app or by logging in to your Member Account. Remember, some Health Care FSAs are designated as “use-it-or-lose-it,” meaning you would not be allowed to rollover money left in your account. By checking your Final Filing Date prior to the end of your Plan Year, you can plan accordingly to use the funds if needed so you don’t lose any dollars.

What happens if I terminate employment during the Plan Year?

You will have an additional amount of time called a “run-out period” after termination to submit claims for reimbursement. However, you will only be reimbursed for services you received while you were employed (unless you continue to contribute to your FSA through COBRA).

Year-End Plan Options

Grace Period/Run-out Period/Rollover Option:

Run-out Period: This is an additional period of time during which you are allowed to file claims for expenses incurred during your previous Plan Uear.

Rollover Option (aka Carryover Option): If your plan has a rollover option, at the end of the Plan Year unused funds (up to $500) will rollover into your FSA account for the next Plan Year.  

Grace Period: This is the time between the last day of the Plan Year and the Final Date to Incur Claims (final date to use your FSA funds). The grace period gives you a little extra time to use the money from your FSA.

My employer previously offered a grace period and has elected to terminate the grace period and implement the $500 carryover option. What does this mean for me?

An FSA can offer either the grace period or the carryover option, not both. If your employer changed to the carryover option, be sure enough expenses are incurred within the 12 month Plan Year so that no more than $500 remains in your FSA at the end of each Plan Year. Amounts over $500 will be forfeited.

Can the $500 be used for expenses incurred during the prior Plan Year or expenses incurred in the new Plan Year? Or both?

Both. The carryover of up to $500 may be used for eligible medical expenses incurred during the prior Plan Year, from which the funds were carried over, or the entire new Plan Year, to which the funds are carried over.

For this purpose, the carryover amount is the amount remaining after medical expenses have been reimbursed at the end of the plan’s run-out period for the Plan Year.

NOTE: A “run-out period” is the time immediately following the end of a Plan Year during which a participant can submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses incurred for eligible expenses during the Plan Year.

Does the carryover count against the annual contribution limit or employer contributions?

The carryover does not count against or otherwise affect the contribution limit applicable to each Plan Year. For example, if a participant carried over the maximum $500, and elected $2,600 in the following Plan Year, $3,100 would be available for use in the following Plan Year. In addition, employer contributions to your FSA are not impacted by either the annual contribution limit or the carryover.

What happens to the $500 carryover if I do not re-enroll in the plan for the next plan year?

Even if you do not re-enroll, the amount set to carryover may create an automatic enrollment for the following plan year. Please contact Surency Flex’s Customer Service department at 866-818-8805 to discuss the specific details of your plan.

If my employer elects to use the carryover option, do I have to carry over the full $500?

No. Although the maximum amount allowed to be carried over in any Plan Year is $500, your plan may allow for a lower amount. Contact Surency Flex’s Customer Service department at 866-818-8805 to discuss the specific details of your plan. 

In what situations could I lose the money in my account?

There are a few ways that you could “forfeit” the money in your account:

  1. If your employer does not have a carryover amount, or rollover period, any unused amount at the end of the run-out period would be forfeited.  
  2. If your employer allows a carryover (limited to $500 or less), any unused amount in excess of $500 would be forfeited.
  3. Any unused amount remaining in your account upon termination of employment would be forfeited (unless you elect COBRA continuation of your Health Care FSA).
How can I use the funds in my account without paying for expenses upfront and waiting for reimbursement?

Use your Surency Flex Benefits Card like a credit card to pay for eligible expenses at the time of service or write the Benefits Card number on the bill you receive (just like you were paying with a credit card). By providing your card as the initial form of payment, you will automatically use funds in your account and will not need to wait for reimbursement. Please note, you should keep your receipts from any Benefits Card purchases in case we need to see those for verification of the expense.

What funds are available to me on the first day of the Plan Year?

The entire amount you elected to set aside for the year is available to you on the first day of the Plan Year.

If I use my Surency Flex Benefits Card to pay for eligible expenses, do I still need to keep my receipts and other documentation?

Yes, all eligible expenses are required to be validated. Most expenses paid for with your Surency Flex Benefits Card can be automatically validated without you needing to submit anything. But you should always keep your receipts and other documentation for tax purposes or in case we need to further verify your expenses.

What is “Closing of a Plan Year”?

Closing of a Plan Year is a final review of the reimbursement accounts for all repayments throughout the Plan Year. 

Why is it important to close a Plan Year?

The IRS requires employers to report and take additional action when participants have taxable items. Therefore, in order to comply with the IRS regulations, it is important that Surency assist with the closing of your Plan Year to provide necessary reporting. 

What are taxable items?

Taxable items are pending repayments from the Plan Year. Pending repayments could be a result of a debit card transaction where the participant did not provide a receipt (claim substantiation) or the transaction was determined to be an ineligible expense. 

What reporting will be provided?

Surency will provide you with an updated Account Balance Detail Report for the previous Plan Year and a full accounting of open, unresolved repayments (taxable items).

When will the reporting be available?

The updated Account Balance Detail report will be provided 185 days after the closing of the Plan Year. The Account Balance Detail Report will be generated the 2nd day of the month following the 180 day mark.

What steps does an employer need to take? 

When the Plan Year ends, which is the final filing date for the Plan Year, you need to follow these two steps:

  1. First, if allowed by law, withhold the amount of the improper charge from the employee's pay or other compensation.
  2. For terminated employees or where you cannot withhold from pay, you can report the unsubstantiated claims as income on the employee's W-2. (Amended W-2s are not required as "improper payment is reportable in the taxable year of the employee in which the indebtedness is forgiven.")

If you are using the Form 1099 method, you will need to change to the Form W-2 method.

Still Have Questions?

Fill out the form and a Surency team member will reach out to help you as soon as possible.