You can use the money in your Dependent Care FSA to pay for day care, babysitting and general purpose day camps for your dependents under the age of 13 while you are at work. You can also use the funds to pay for adult day care services for dependent adults who are unable to care for themselves (if they live with you for at least eight hours per day). 

If your provider doesn't accept your Benefits Card for your dependent care expenses, you can submit a claim online using the Surency mobile app or your Member Account to be reimbursed. You could alternatively download this claim form to request reimbursement. Using the claim form, you can set up a recurring reimbursement if your expenses are for the same amount, from the same provider and for the same length of time.

One of the requirements for you to receive reimbursements from a Dependent Care FSA is that the expense is incurred allowing you and your spouse to be gainfully employed. This means that you are working and earning an income. You are not considered gainfully employed during paid vacation time or sick days. Gainful employment is determined on a daily basis. Since you are an employee of your employer, you are gainfully employed. If you have a legal spouse, then your spouse would also need to be gainfully employed for your expenses to be eligible. Other definitions of gainful employment include people who are:

  • Unemployed but actively seeking work; or
  • Self-employed; or
  • Physically or mentally not capable of self-care; or
  • Full-time students.

No. If your child’s child care center or summer camp charges for food, transportation or activities, these charges are not eligible as Dependent Care expenses.   

No. Expenses that include overnight care are not eligible expenses. The charges cannot be prorated to include the portion that was for care during the day while you were working.

No. Expenses for education do not qualify as Dependent Care expenses. However, if you are charged for after care for the portion of the day that your child attends the school, this charge does qualify as a Dependent Care expense. Your provider must supply you with documentation for the charges for the portion of the day that is specifically for care and well-being.

Incurred is defined by the IRS as the date(s) that the services are provided that gave rise to the expense. Expenses are not considered to be provided at the time you are billed. That means for Dependent Care FSAs, if you pay for services in advance, you cannot claim the expenses until you actually receive the services. For example, if you pay January's expenses at the beginning of the month, you cannot be reimbursed until the end of January when all of the services have been received. You may file a claim weekly for that week's services or you may file an Auto Dependent Care Claim Form if your weekly payments do not vary.

No, only charges that have been fully incurred can be distributed for reimbursement. If you pay in advance, please wait until after the care has been provided before submitting the claim for reimbursement.

If you submit a claim for an amount greater than what you have in your Dependent Care FSA account at the time, the portion of the claim that is above the amount you have in your account will remain “pending” until funds are available from future contributions.

Please check with your Human Resources department or contact Surency’s Customer Service department at 866-818-8805 to discuss the specific details of your plan.

Surency Login

Choose your Surency account type below to log in and access your account. Reimbursement accounts include FSA, DC FSA, LP FSA, HSA, HRA, Commuter, LSA, QSEHRA, Adoption Assistance, Travel Benefits, Direct Billing and Premium Only Plans.