Flex Frequently Asked Questions

Find the answers below to the questions most frequently asked by our members. If you are enrolled in a Surency Flex plan, visit the Member Account to learn more about your  benefits.

How do I access my plan information?

Surency Flex offers four ways to access your plan details:

  1. The easiest option is to use the Surency Flex mobile app. The mobile app is available for download from the Apple App Store or Google Play. On the mobile app, you can view your current account balance, file claims and securely contact Surency Flex.
  2. Log in to your online Member Account to view your account details, file claims and more. 
  3. Contact Surency Flex Customer Service at 866-818-8805.
  4. You can also sign up to receive electronic updates on your plan via email and/or text alerts. Log in to your Member Account and visit the “Statements & Notifications” tab to select your notification preferences.
What do I do if I’m having issues with my Member Account or the mobile app?

Contact Surency Flex Customer Service at 866-818-8805 for assistance.

Can I receive statements/notifications by email and/or text?

Surency Flex offers email and text notifications regarding details of your account. To set up these features, log in to your Member Account, visit the “Statements & Notifications” tab and click on “Update Notification Preferences.” Enter your cell phone number and/or email address and choose your alert options. Click “Submit” to save your changes.

I’ve lost my Surency Flex Benefits Card. What should I do?

Treat you Surency Flex Benefits Card like a Credit Card. If it’s lost, contact Surency Flex customer service immediately at 866-818-8805. Or you can report it lost within your Member Account. Log in. Select the “Profile” tab, then select “Banking/Cards”, and then “Report Lost/Stolen.” Click “Submit” to save your changes. Once you’ve reported your Card lost or stolen, Surency Flex will send you a replacement Benefits Card.

What is a Commuter Benefits Program?

A Commuter Benefits program is a qualified transportation benefit program authorized by the IRS and provided by your employer. For Pre-Tax Benefits programs administered by Surency Flex, eligible expenses are dictated by the IRS, and Surency Flex uses those guidelines in reviewing your claims.

Qualified Transit expenses cover public transportation and vanpools carrying six or more adult passengers (excluding the driver). Any type of transit service, publicly or privately owned or operated, including bus, rail, subway, ferry, shuttle bus, and commuter highway vehicles under contract, which provides to the public and/or employees, general or special service on a regular and continuing basis, is eligible.

Qualified Parking expenses cover parking at or near work or at or near a place where you take public transportation to work.

Under a Commuter Benefits Program, you may have a transit account, parking account, or both depending on what your employer chooses to offer.

How does the plan work?

You authorize your employer to deduct a pre-tax amount for parking or vanpooling/transit from each paycheck, up to the IRS (monthly) limits. 

  • Pay for expenses with your Surency Flex Benefits Card and the expense is automatically deducted from your Commuter Benefits Account.
  • If your transit or parking authority does not accept your Surency Flex Benefits Card for payment, you will need to file a claim for reimbursement. Log in to your Member Account to file a claim. Please see below for "Do I have to send anything with a claim form?”
How do I enroll?

You can enroll, change or terminate your pre-tax deduction at any time. All changes are effective on checks issued on or after the first of the month following the change or enrollment. Once you are enrolled and have made an election for that particular month, you cannot change that monthly election. Contact Surency Flex’s Customer Service department at 866-818-8805 to discuss the specific details of your plan.

What types of programs qualify under the Commuter Benefits Program?

Your employer’s Commuter Benefits Program may allow for any or all of the following (please check with your employer as to which options are provided under your plan):

  • Parking — Parking fees at/near your place of work or at/near a location from which you commute to work by carpool, commuter highway vehicle or mass transit. Out-of-pocket parking fees for parking meters, garages, and lots qualify. Parking at or near your home is not an eligible expense.
  • Vanpooling — Vanpooling fees in a commuter highway vehicle with a seating capacity of at least six (6) adults, excluding the driver, meets the guidelines for a qualifying expense. (See below for the determination of your vanpool’s eligibility.)
  • Mass Transit — Passes, tokens, fare cards, or similar items entitling you to ride a mass transit vehicle to or from work. The mass transit vehicle may be publicly or privately operated and includes bus, rail or ferry.
What expenses are not eligible?

The following is a partial list of Commuter Benefits expenses that are not eligible:

  • Tolls 
  • Traffic tickets
  • Fuel
  • Mileage or other costs you incur in operating a vehicle
  • Taxis
  • Payments to a fellow participant in a carpool or to a friend who drives you to work
  • Parking at your personal residence
  • Parking at your spouse or someone else’s place of work
  • Parking at a mall or similar location where you stop on your drive to or from your place of work
  • Costs that have been or will be paid by your employer, such as for a business trip
  • Parking at an airport for taking an airplane to work
Is my vanpool eligible?

Under Federal law, arrangements where you and other commuters share the cost of renting a van for commuting to work are eligible for tax-free transit benefits. A personal van or other vehicle that you or one of the other commuters owns or operates is not a vanpool. The van must be primarily used for commuting (more than 80% of the miles driven must be for transporting people to and from work) and have a seating capacity of at least six (6) adults, excluding the driver, and must typically be at least half full of commuters.

Transportation in a commuter highway vehicle (vanpool) which is provided "by and for" (on behalf of) the employer is eligible for the Commuter Benefits Program. These types of vanpool arrangements are: employer-owned; employer-leased; employee-owned; employee-leased, and public transit operated.

I pay for parking at a park-and-ride lot, but pay for a bus separately. How do I use pre-tax dollars to pay for parking and transit separately?

You can use pre-tax dollars for parking and for transit by electing each Commuter Benefit separately. The bus fare would count toward the monthly $260 transit limit; the parking fee would count toward the $260 parking limit.

What are the annual limits for Commuter Benefits?

Annual limits are set by the IRS. The following limits are currently in effect (indexed annually): 

  • Parking deduction is limited to $260 per month; and 
  • Transit passes & vanpooling, whether separately or combined, deduction is limited to $260 per month.

Any monthly costs above these limits cannot be exempt from taxes and cannot be carried over to future months. Although these are the limits set by the IRS, your employer may choose to offer lesser amounts.

How do I get reimbursed for my expenses?

Surency Flex offers three ways to get reimbursed.

  1. The easiest option is to use the Surency Flex mobile app. Choose “File a Claim,” enter the requested information and snap a photo from your phone of your receipt. The claim request and receipt will be automatically sent to Surency Flex for processing.  
  2. Log in to your Member Account. Choose “File a New Claim,” upload your receipt and enter the requested information. The claim request and receipt will be sent to Surency Flex for processing.
  3. Print a Parking or Transit Claim Form and mail it to Surency Flex for processing. Your claim form must be signed indicating that you agree to the condition of the Commuter Benefits Program reimbursement procedures.

Remember, if you paid for the transit or parking expenses with your Surency Flex Benefits Card, you will not need to file a claim.  

Do I have to send anything with a claim form?

Submit receipts for the month or week and a signed reimbursement claim form to Surency as substantiation of your incurred expense. You can only be reimbursed for services that have already been provided.

What documentation must accompany my claim in order to receive reimbursement?

Federal Regulations require you to provide a written statement from the service provider that supports your claim if the service provider supplies receipts or other documentation in the ordinary course of its business. If the service provider does not supply receipts or other documentation, check the box indicating that you have attempted to obtain a valid receipt, but the service provider does not supply one. If the service provider normally supplies documentation, such as receipts, you must provide a copy with your claim.

The documentation must contain the following:

  • The service provider’s name.
  • The date or range of dates of parking, transit, or payment. You may not claim expenses for more than one month on one line.
  • A description of the service provided (for example, "Month/Year Parking" or "Month/Year bus fare”).
  • The cost of the service or the amount paid.
What are the claim(s) filing limits?

Federal Regulations require claims to be filed and substantiated within 180 of incurring the expense. All claims filed after the 180 day window will be denied and funds will be forfeited.

What records must I keep if I receive a qualified transportation or parking benefit?

If your employer utilizes a cash reimbursement system, you will have to provide Surency with receipts or some record of your expenses in order to substantiate your claim(s).

How does my Surency Flex Benefits Card work?

If you elect to utilize the Surency Flex Benefits Card at enrollment, you will receive the Card in the mail after your initial enrollment. You can elect a Card during enrollment or by logging in to your Surency Flex Member Account and order a Card. It is essentially a limited use Credit Card. The funds are added to the Card electronically each pay date during the month following the enrollment deadline.

Will the funds be forfeited at the end of the calendar year?

Commuter Benefits are not tied to a benefit year, so the funds will remain in your account until used or within 180 days (filing limit) after the services were provided. However, if your employment ends, any money remaining in your account will be forfeited. 


Fill out the form and a Surency team member will reach out to help you as soon as possible.